I paid a bribe

Today, I drove by faith, my fuel tank was dry and there was no petrol station in sight. It was 7pm, the kids were cranky, my nerves were everywhere because the car could stop at any time now. "Lord I need fuel" was all I could mutter and just then, I saw something like a short queue in front of a popular fuel station. I quickly took my place behind the last car only to start an unending wait. Thirty minutes passed, we hadn't moved an inch, the baby was screaming by now and my irritability was ascending. After what seemed like forever, it got to our turn. I waited in anticipation like Oliver twist with my fuel tank open. The attendant just kept on selling to people with jerrycans. " Oga how far na? Sell for me abeg my baby don taya." He was tall, Lanky with a sun beaten face. He looked at me with his blood shot eyes and said "300 naira". "I don't understand" I replied, feigning ignorance. " Madam if you want fuel gimme 300 naira or I give you only 1000 naira fuel!" he yelled. Like seriously? It had become his right and the jerrycan agbero boys were busy seconding him. The unholy anger in me was rising my surrounding was spinning around my head. I could hear my baby screaming, my toddler banging on my steering wheel, my phone continuously ringing(hubby getting worried) the fuel attendant screaming "carry your car comot" and jerrycan boys saying "abeg continue to dey sell for us she no know say na Naija she dey". "Oh, Jesus would not forgive me if I don't educate this people for their parents" I thought... " Oga, na your right? Na by force? I no go comot until you serve me fuel. And make I no hear say una talk say Oga Buhari and other government officials bad when the corruption reach ground. I know my right oh, oya sell me fuel now!". He finally sold me the fuel and kept N198 for himself. Change shouldn't be expected from government officials alone.For there to be lasting change in our dear Nigeria everyone must have a transformed mind! It should start from me and you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change!

What If Mary?